-

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Why I will not support a Buhari presidency again‏

I am aware that the statement I'm about to make will surely attract range of rage from many of my friends across the globe, nonetheless am compelled to go ahead with my decision to renounce my support for the great general.
In the last couple of weeks, I have been ruminating over my ardent support for a General Mohammudu Buhari presidency since his foray into the political arena. My conclusion has been that under the prevailing circumstances in our country today, a Buhari presidency remains a mirage, especially with the successful transformation agenda of incumbent president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan across all sectors of the economy.
Let me start by confessing that my decision to turn a torn coat was informed by the need to grab my own portion of the national cake being brazenly shared in Abuja by GEJ in his quest to retain the presidency at all cost for the second time. A Buhari presidency will surely upset the apple cart at this point in time because those of us who are yet to participate in the looting of the nation commonwealth may never be opportune to do so in the foreseeable future, knowing Buhari’s antecedent.
From my vantage position as an observer of the economy and the political development in the country, I have come to recognise the futility of a change promised by the possibility of a Buhari presidency. Many Nigerians today are eager to fill their stomach because of the widespread unemployment and hunger in the land caused by the massive concentration of our common wealth in the bank accounts of a few. Yet, of what use will be a government that promised to fight corruption, when corruption has come to stay in the country and the only option left for some us to grab our own portion of the commonwealth is to team up with team Jonathan. If you can't beat them, the saying goes, you join them. Our president is doing a good job by concentrating the wealth of the nation in the hands of few scoundrels, why then should I want to deliberately deprive myself of the privilege of joining the elite club. With the way and manner fuel subsidy scammers are protected and shielded from prosecution, it is obvious Nigeria is not ready for an egalitarian society being promised by a Buhari presidency. Of what use is my continue romance with poverty when only what it takes to belong to the club of those who borrowed money from banks and refused to pay back without any dire consequences is to hobnob with the Jonathan presidency. When corrupt government officials are not corrupt but mere thieves that can be forgiven. Boko Haram insurgency is having an upper hands, displacing thousands of peasants across the North eastern part of the country today, but the good news is that many of the fat cats in the military and the few lucky contractors are smiling to the bank, no thanks to the sustained increased in budgetary allocation for defence. Why would I want to deny myself of the privilege to be among those few fat cats then?
As long as the insurgency is concentrated in the north, Jonathan presidency is secured, and if the Boko Haram warriors chose to extend their battle beyond the north east, the better for the GEJ campaigners, the options are enormous. The government could postponed 2015 election or better still, increase defence budget to fight the insurgents, thereby creating opportunity for more of the commonwealth to enter into few people's pockets.
Waiting for a Buhari presidency who could crush the insurgency in no time is a bad business and I have learnt not to be part of such transaction because it will only favour just a section of the populace.
I have been in the army of the masses for too long, and it’s like there will never be an opportunity to be in the league of private jet owners if I continue to support a Buhari presidency. Of what use is a war against indiscipline, when all we need is a bunch of unruly power mongers, wiping up ethnics sentiments to justify their holds on power?
Billions of our commonwealth is being pumped into a bottomless pit of amnesty programme and since am from Ondo State, one of the so-called Niger delta region, I stand a better chance to partake in the largesse without fear of being exposed or prosecuted, provided I remain in the caucus.
Nigerian gross domestic products (GDP) has expanded exponentially since the presidency under GEJ, at least from the large pool of private jets owners, defence contractors, self perpetuating campaigners and hanger-on’s, the evidence of prosperity in the land remain glaring, not withstand the army of unemployed graduates and large scale deprivation in the land. For me, more opportunities still abound in the field of turncoat business to scoop off some billions of naira in lurch campaign funds, etc.
I don't want to die waiting for a reformed banking sector, when GEJ option of giving back the banks to the same people who ruin them initially is taking shape and working. The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is now well positioned with the new helmsman to correct all the damages done by the previous administrator of the apex bank. The reintroduction of charges on the use of ATM of other banks is a well thought out decision to put more money in the hands of the few bank owners. Now, the bankers have one of their owns at the helm of affairs at CBN, while there will no longer be anybody to disturb the serene peace in Aso rock about an imaginary missing $20 billion oil revenue again. The sack of the former Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) group managing director has successfully sealed the mouth of those who are still thinking any money is missing. I have come to realise that those who are still clamouring for change are the few who are yet to partake in the delicious transformation stew. Once you have the opportunity to buy your own private jet, or at least make enough money from over inflated bullet proof cars supplied to ministers and the retinue of special advisers, you won't have the time to clamour for good roads or improve environment. Sending your children to a public school is no longer fashionable, why worry about improvement in the standard of education then, when you can send your wards to a private school either here or abroad? Tell me, of what use is an improved health sector when you too can join the president in travelling to a German hospital to treat mere malaria? Why do I need a reformed police force, when I can employ army of militants to guide my abode day and night and be on my convoy on the road?
I have also come to realise that its vain asking government to create incentive to resuscitate the manufacturing sector, when there is a vast field for investing in the politics of boot-licking of those in power and reap bountiful thereafter. I have also come to a conclusion that an average Nigerian does not seek a change from the prevailing ruts. Check out the campaign rallies of the politicians, the mammoth crown of the masses in attendance demonstrates our sense of value. Everyone is waiting for his/her own turn to share in the commonwealth.
Again, the willingness of some people to be used to counter progressive advocacy simply because of a morsel of meal is enough evidence that giving the opportunity, even the majority of the so called masses will opt for a portion of the largess than support a popular change. It is evidence that the 2015 election will be fought and won by the use of inducement, and I don't want to be left behind. In this wise, PDP and Jonathan has the upper hands because of its free access to our commonwealth and their desperation to use whatever means to hold on to power.
Even though I recognise that a Buhari presidency would be of immense benefits to the majority of the people, but why should I wait on the queue when I can jump it with impunity to enrich myself, my family and sprinkle some around.
Please help me tell the whole world, that I have jump the ship, because I need stomach infrastructure, let them hold on to the real development. Like Spiderman said, no matter what you do, they will still hate you. So let them start hating me now, because it’s my turn to chop.





Mayowa is a Lagos based financial journalist

0 comments:

Post a Comment